Monday, June 8, 2015

Pastors are Not Drivers

A lot has gone on since yesterday morning when Jon & Dotty Zens were with us at Crossroads for Bible study and worship. Personally I officially moved from one occupation to another - having released the pastor role at Crossroads and now having taken up the position of "bus operator trainee" with Metro Transit.

The photo I posted here was taken after our day of orientation -- I got behind the wheel of a parked bus and asked a friend to take a picture with my phone. We've got lots of training ahead before I'm actually going anywhere with that machine. I'm not a driver yet.

As I looked at this picture tonight I was reminded of something Jon Zens was teaching us yesterday. During worship he shared with us from Ephesians 4:7 ("to each one of us grace has been given as Christ apportioned it...") and First Corinthians 12:14 where we are forcefully told that "the body is not made of one part..."

Jon didn't talk about bus drivers yesterday, but he could have, because, sadly, sometimes church-folk either think of themselves or are sometimes treated as "passengers" while someone else does the driving. But, as Jon said so clearly, if that were the case then the other parts of the body would be optional -- as long as they drop their fare (offering) in the box.

Everyone is equal in the body. Once we've been claimed by the Lord Jesus, there is no hierarchy. Each of us has an important role. None are just passengers. Together we are the active body of Christ. We have one driver - JESUS. None of us can sit in his seat.

That's what I remember from what Jon highlighted yesterday. We didn't use microphones so we don't have a recording. Maybe Jon will see this and let me know if I got it right.

Tomorrow at 6 AM a friend from Crossroads is coming by to pick me up and give me a ride in for training. In a physical vehicle, I don't mind being a passenger. But after the 5-6 weeks of training, and after I've been thoroughly tested, I'll drive passengers myself. I'll be more "in control" than I ever have been as a pastor... ultimately, though, I'll be depending on the Lord every minute to guide and help me keep everyone safe. Pray for all of us who are learning -- and for all those who are already on the road.

equalsharing.com

No comments:

Post a Comment