Wednesday, June 10, 2015

A Test of Faith

Yesterday was the first real day of training for me and the 7 other men (this group all happens to be male) who are aiming at being qualified as bus operators for Metro Transit. One of the sessions reminded me of the time back in 2010 when I was in a class preparing for my first (and only) parachute jump and the instructor spent time telling us about everything that could go wrong.

In the particular session I am thinking about that we went through yesterday, the lead instructor spoke to us about how strictly we were being watched during training and about what could happen to get us "disqualified" to drive. I won't go into the details in this public forum but it's enough to say that several kinds of "slip ups" could cause a man or woman to not be able to continue. It would be pretty easy to fail.

There are many "tests of faith" in our lives and this training process is certainly one of them. What does the Lord say to me now?
  • I think of verses that have to do with pushing on through in an athletic contest, running hard after the prize, doing all I can to avoid disqualification, remaining alert and careful... especially when we get out on the road. I think of First Corinthians 9:27 where Paul uses an example from his life, "hardening his body" as he says, and "bringing it under complete control so that he will not be disqualified." 
  • On the other hand, I think of verses that bring confidence, where the Lord says that he will complete the good work he has done in me.
So I will continue. I will work hard and do my very best. And I will trust that the One who called me is faithful and he will lead me through to being qualified to do the work that HE wants me to do. I will walk, and drive, in faith. Even if I end up someday in one of those 60 foot "artics," that is an articulated or "accordion" bus.

I write this hoping that when you, dear reader, face challenges and fears, that you will likewise believe that the Lord is capable of bringing you through, so you will not give up. Seek God's call and then step out in faith. Put fear aside and follow. You and I will experience God's hand of grace upon us as we do.

Time to go back to bed now. I just woke up for a few minutes to write this. Good night.

equalsharing.com

No comments:

Post a Comment