Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Yearning to Breathe Free

Today I was home for a few minutes at lunchtime (working today for the school district delivering mail and meals from building to building) and heard part of a debate on public radio.  Debaters argued for and against the proposal, "Don't give us your tired, your poor, your huddled masses."  That debate was on the immigration policy of the United States.  Interesting debate with lots of pros and cons on all sides.

I did think, however, as I heard Emma Lazarus' famous poem used to introduce the debate, that the church of Jesus Christ is called to do what the poem says, in Jesus' name.

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

www.equalsharing.com

No comments:

Post a Comment