Tuesday, January 25, 2011

This One Day (2)

Back home after a full day.

Here are a few notes from today's "Psychology and the Church" seminar:
In the 1950s-1970s Christians like Norman Vincent Peale, Robert Schuller, Tim LaHaye tied simple psychological themes to theology.  On the other hand, Christians like Jay Adams (and his "Institute for Nouthetic Studies"), Jimmy Swaggart and Martin & Deidre Bobgan stood against them, saying that there was no need to add any psychological theory to the truth of God's Word--any Christian who knows Scripture is "Competent to Counsel."  Our teacher, Dr. Daniel Nelson (PhD, LP) also touched on Prayer Counseling and Spiritual Warfare.  Fascinating stuff. 

The next thing we'll look at in class, if I continue, would be psychologists and teachers at the other end of the spectrum--those who reject Christianity totally--among them Sigmund Freud, B. F. Skinner, Marlene Winell.  After those we'll consider Christians who find varying degrees of validity in each other's perspectives. 

(I need to decide, by tomorrow morning, whether or not to continue the class.  If I drop the class now I can get a refund--and it will save gas money too.  But the class is so good...  Please pray that I'll be wise in that choice of how to spend the resources God has given.)
In the afternoon a friend and I spent time (in prayer and conversation) with a group from Prayer Transformation Ministries.  This ministry is going through a change since their former director, Steve Loopstra, moved to his current position with the Sentinel Group in Washington state.  They are now focusing on developing a culture of prayer.  They've invited me to join them on Thursday at 11:30 a.m.  Let me know if you'd like to come along.

After those more spiritual encounters, it was off to see the insurance agent.  Yes, practical things do need to be taken care of.  And I need to get things organized for our upcoming move out of the parsonage too.  I'd better stop blogging and get to that.

Peace to you in Jesus' precious name alone.

-----------------------------

For a bit more about my time at North Central and the seminar I'm auditing, see One Thing I Know, This One Day (1) and Psychology and the Church (seminar update).

www.equalsharing.com

No comments:

Post a Comment