Saturday, January 22, 2011

Safe in the Temple of the Lord

One thing have I asked of the LORD;
one thing I seek;
    that I may dwell
    in the house of the LORD
    all the days of my life;
to behold the fair beauty of the LORD
    and to seek him in his temple.
For in the day of trouble
he shall keep me safe in his shelter;
    he shall hide me
    in the secrecy of his dwelling
    and set me high upon a rock.
Even now he lifts up my head
    above my enemies round about me.
Therefore I will offer in his dwelling
an offering
with sounds of great gladness,
    I will sing
    and make music to the LORD.  (Psalm 27:5-7)
Tomorrow I have the privilege of leading a Bible study on this Psalm, a song of great confidence, hope and joy in the midst of danger.  The beginning of the Psalm speaks of evil and enemies and war--dangers that lead us to seek safety--safety that does not come in self-defense but, instead, to the temple of the Lord, where the faith-filled find safety and joy.

Where do we find that safe place today?  Where is this temple?  Because the New Testament interprets the Old, we look there to find the answer:  The temple, where we can find safety and peace, is found wherever you and I are gathered together in Jesus' name.

Here's what it says in Ephesians:
"You are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are citizens with the saints and also members of the household of God, built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the cornerstone. In him the whole structure is joined together and grows into a holy temple in the Lord; in whom you also are built together spiritually into a dwelling place for God." (Ephesians 2:19-22)
Don't look for safety or security by yourself.  Scripture makes clear that we find the "fair beauty of the Lord" as we gather together in Jesus' name.  Whether you get together with two or three or several hundred, it's in together with one another and the Lord that we find what we need.

For more on this topic, see this sweet article by my friend Jon Zens:  The New Testament Is Plural (Us) Not Singular (Me)

It's those who are alone--either by choice or because they can't get together with other believers for some reason--it's those who are alone who end up in the most painful and dangerous circumstances. Let's do all we can to bring those we know out of hiding. We are truly called to gather, to share God's Word and pray together in person. That's where safety, and healing in Jesus' name can truly be found.

www.equalsharing.com

No comments:

Post a Comment