Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Waiting

Isaiah 60: "Arise, shine; for your light has come, and the glory of the Lord has risen upon you... Nations shall come to your light, and kings to the brightness of your dawn."

Malachi 6: "But for you who revere my name the sun of righteousness shall rise, with healing in its wings."

Those are God's promises. Yet, we wait. When we are honest, we see and experience continuing pain. We open our eyes and see the darkness.

Romans 8: "We who have the first fruits of the Spirit groan inwardly as we wait for adoption."

So how are we to wait with courage and joy?

Romans 8: I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory about to be revealed to us. For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the children of God; for the creation was subjected to futility, not of its own will but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to decay and will obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God.

The only thing I can do is to look for the signs of God's light and life. I look to the Word of God. I look to Jesus and his promises. I long for the Lord's table, where I can receive a little taste of God's kingdom with my brothers and sisters. I look for God's love.

And, if I look, I will see it. Whoever seeks will find.

Luke 11 “...everyone who asks receives, and everyone who searches finds, and for everyone who knocks, the door will be opened. Is there anyone among you who, if your child asks for a fish, will give a snake instead of a fish? Or if the child asks for an egg, will give a scorpion? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”

Come, Lord Jesus! Come through the gift of your Spirit and give light in our darkness. Give hope and peace and love and joy. Enough so we can continue to wait, until all your promises come true.

2 comments:

  1. Pastor Steve
    I enjoy the blog. I like the scripture. I am waitng not so patiently. At the end of Revelation Johns prayer is "come quickly Lord Jesus, come", May that be our prayer this advent season also. Thank you
    Jerry Seehusen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jerry. I'm honored by the simple fact that you commented! My daughter heard a sermon at Bethel University chapel that I'm waiting to get a link to - it's about how we should never be surprised about how dark the darkness is. We can't expect the darkness to become lighter! We can only shine the light of Christ IN the darkness so the darkness is dispelled, at least for awhile. But someday, the darkness will be GONE! Hallelujah!

    ReplyDelete