Thursday, October 23, 2014

God Gives Strength

This past summer, when we (3 of our high school students and I) were at Leadership Quest we spent time in The Apostle Paul's Second Letter to Timothy. One theme of that letter (especially in chapter 4) is Paul's grief over having been abandoned by several of his dear friends and colleagues. At one point he says "only Luke is with me." (I'm writing this without looking at the Bible references so I can't cite the verses. Read 2nd Timothy and you'll see.)

In one way or another, we have experienced "abandonment." It's not good to blame anyone for leaving. The feelings are often the same, no matter what the reason for "leaving" (or being left) may be. After all, people leave for many reasons and we cannot judge "the thoughts and intentions of the heart." Only God and His Word can do that.

But no matter what the reasons may be, the feelings are still there--feelings that it difficult to do all God may be calling you and I to do.

The Apostle Paul experienced all of this. But, as it says in Second Timothy 4:17, after all deserted him, "The Lord stood by me and gave me strength, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it..." and he goes on to say, "the Lord will rescue me from every evil attack and save me for his heavenly kingdom. To him be the glory forever and ever. Amen"

When you or I feel abandoned, we don't blame or shame. We go to the Word of God, and to the Lord himself, for strength that never fails. And he will give all we need.

www.equalsharing.com

No comments:

Post a Comment