Sunday, August 10, 2014

First Scary Steps

Imagine the scene at right -- at night.  The photo is from 2013 but Aaron, Matt, Brenden, Quinnton, Kendall and I were there again each night last week, with a bunch of LQ1 students and adults.  We worshiped God and had great discussions.  Our young men led the discussions and did a great job.

The whole week was very good.  It met, and exceeded, the expectations we shared on our Leadership Quest webpage (here).

On Sunday night (Aug 3) I led off our campfire discussions by standing on my hands on the platform.  I didn't do it on my own.  The four I mentioned above picked up my feet.  Today at Crossroads we did it again -- except this time not in the dark.

I didn't do this as a stunt.  It was a part of demonstrating the theme of the book Do Hard Things.  It might not seem hard to you, but for me, who has had a fear of having his heels over his head since childhood, it was a big deal.  Honestly.  But it is important for us, at whatever age, to be prepared to move outside our comfort zone when the Lord calls.  Standing on my hands on a wilderness stage in the dark, even with help, was, for me, a Scary First Step.

This morning we began a new message series at Crossroads.  Info, and a recording, can be found by clicking here.  It's a series based on the Old Testament book of Nehemiah -- a series that we're calling "Re:Build."   Take a look.  It's worth your time.

I'm certain that God has led us to this series.  It's not something I came up with on my own.  The series connects so closely with what God is calling us to do at Crossroads -- especially in terms of our ministry with children and youth.

We're needing to "rebuild," in part, because at least one of our key youth leaders has been called by God to make a change, a change that will not have her involved with our youth program this year.  Also our long time Sunday School superintendent is likewise being called by God to make a change.  Her hope is to be more involved with our Adult Bible Study.

Any changes bring both opportunities and fears.  The book of Nehemiah leads us to a good way of handling these things.  In chapter 1 Nehemiah hears the troubling news, weeps, and then prays in faith, confessing his sins and claiming God's promises.  Then, at the beginning of chapter 2, Nehemiah goes to the king of Babylon, using his position to get the permission and the materials needed for the Re:Build.

Tomorrow evening our church's board of directors will pray and ask God how we should proceed.  Please be in prayer that we will hear our Lord's call and obey.

www.equalsharing.com

No comments:

Post a Comment