Monday, August 24, 2009

Unbinding the Conscience

I am looking at scriptures assigned for this coming Sunday, August 30 in our church. In these scriptures I hear God working to unbind our consciences from what is false in order to form them according to his Word. The ELCA's new statement on human sexuality seems to celebrate the "bound consciences" of people so as not to do just what God's Word does in the scriptures for this coming Sunday. If anyone reading this can help me, I'd appreciate it, because I am thinking that this "bound conscience" idea as articulated by my church body is about the same as what we often confess on Sunday mornings, that "we are in bondage to sin."

Here is a link to the scriptures for this coming Sunday:
First Reading
Deuteronomy 4:1-2, 6-9
or
Song of Solomon 2:8-13

Psalm
Psalm 15
or
Psalm 45:1-2, 6-9

Second Reading
James 1:17-27

Gospel
Mark 7:1-8, 14-15, 21-23
--------------------------------
for more on "conscience" see A Prayer for Transformation.

www.equalsharing.com

No comments:

Post a Comment