Friday, April 24, 2009

A Faithful Concert

We had the privilege, this evening, of having Matt Maher and Shane & Shane here in concert. A great message and wonderful praise.

When it comes to Christian music, I listen carefully to the message. For others, it's the music that's key. Here's one of Matt Maher's lyrics that really touched me tonight:

Empty And Beautiful
My past won't stop haunting me
In this prison there's a fight between
Who I am and who I used to be

This thorn in my side is a grace
For because of it the flesh and blood of God
Was offered in my place, my place

You fought the fight in me
You chased me down and finished the race
I was blind but now I see
Jesus You kept the faith in me

Where did my best friends go?
In my defense they disappeared
Just like Your friends did to You, oh Lord

But You were there, You gave me strength
So this little one might come to know
The glory of Your name, Your name

You fought the fight in me
You chased me down and finished the race
I was blind but now I see
Jesus You kept the faith in me

Awaiting, set apart like incense to Your heart
A libation I'm pouring out
Empty and beautiful, beautiful, beautiful

You fought the fight in me
You chased me down and finished the race
I was blind but now I see
Jesus You kept the faith in me

You fought the fight in me
You chased me down and finished the race
I was blind but now I see
Jesus You kept the faith in me
Jesus You kept the faith in me
Savior, You kept the faith in me

I love how both of these artists, Shane & Shane as well as Matt Maher, put the emphasis on God's action in our lives. As one of them said, even faith is a gift to us. It is Jesus who keeps the faith in us. We can't do it on our own.

A review of Matt Maher's album "Empty and Beautiful" says this:
"Since Matt Maher's Welcome to My Life was a 5-star winner in my book, I had high hopes for his Essential Records debut release, Empty and Beautiful. Matt didn't let me down. His musical skills have stayed at their high level of excellence and his voice, if it's possible, has actually gotten better over the past couple of years. Another favorite aspect of Matt Maher is the fact that he uses Biblical passages as the foundation for his lyrics instead of generic sentiment. I guess it's no small wonder that Chris Tomlin has released one of Matt's songs since Chris isn't into generic either." (from a review by Kim Jones)
I'm very thankful, if a bit deafened (wink), after tonight's concert! Thanks to all who made it happen! And, even more, for the work of God who does keep the faith in me even when I am weak and ornery. Praise God!

No comments:

Post a Comment