Sunday, August 23, 2015

Don't Fight Alone

Good day to you! Today's "My Utmost for His Highest" is about prayer. You can read it here. In it Oswald Chambers speaks about fighting wandering thoughts. He says
...the first thing we have to fight is wandering thoughts. The great battle in private prayer is overcoming this problem of our idle and wandering thinking. We have to learn to discipline our minds and concentrate on willful, deliberate prayer.
Many years ago I learned something that works for me. Maybe it will be helpful for you too.

Instead of fighting wandering thoughts, which, for me, is a losing battle, I bring them to the Lord in prayer. I don't fight them, I bring them, just as they are, into my life with God and let Him examine them. I look, in the scriptures that I am reading in the morning, and in the scriptures that I already know and that are in my head already, for how those thoughts are dealt with there -- in the life of Jesus or in His teachings or in other places in the Bible.

I believe that those thoughts are points to be dealt with by the Lord Himself, not just fought or suppressed. It's never good to do battle with my thoughts alone.

I'm not going to take time to write more now. Toni and I are heading into the cities for worship and then a full family day. Peace be with you!

equalsharing.com

No comments:

Post a Comment