Thursday, October 28, 2010

A Quiet Time with God

Good morning! I pray that you know God's peace in your life today, in Jesus' name.

In early September Toni and I attended a Shepherd's Canyon retreat, and while there, we received this "Time to Talk with God" prayer guide from Barbara Brunworth, a wise Christian who has walked with many people through the seasons of life.  Yesterday I asked her permission to share it with you and she said: "Yes, the Prayer Walk sequence is something I put together many years ago for a retreat.  You can certainly use it and say it came from me.  I'd be pleased if others were blessed by it."

Set aside time to do this when you can be quiet.  I spent an hour or two with this and found it a great blessing. If you want, you can download the Time to Talk with God and read it as a pdf or print it out.  Links for the download are at the bottom of this post.  I read it at my computer.  You may choose to print it out and read it elsewhere, or actually take a prayer walk with the Lord.  This prayer guide is especially helpful during times of stress or before making important decisions.  May you feel or hear the Lord speaking to you as you pray.


Time to Talk with God
by Barbara Brunworth (Dallas, Texas)

In order for God to speak to us, we must be willing to listen.  God speaks to us through His word from Scripture.  God speaks to us in the mystery of the sacraments, baptism and communion.  God speaks to us in a still small voice within our very “heart and soul”.  God speaks to us through Christian friends and mentors i.e. pastors, teachers, and friends who have maturity in Christ.

Being a Christian provides potential for coping that the world does not have.  Knowing God and His love for us enables us to measure the influences in our life in a whole different way than the world.  We find guidelines in developing our values.  We can find correction for the attitude adjustments that we need to make.  Emotions that result in burdens for us can be laid at the feet of Jesus.  When we’re scared of relinquishing control, we can rest in the arms of Jesus with the confidence that He is in control.  When all the circumstances are chaos around us, we can still have the peace that passes understanding, because Christ promised that He has come to give us peace, not as the world gives it, but only as it comes from knowing Him.


PRAYER WALK

Philippians 4: 4 - 7
Use as a beginning for the prayer walk

Continue with one or more prayers of praise and thanksgiving:

Jude 1: 24 - 25
Prayer of praise

Also Psalm 47, 136, 100, 117, 150

Colossians 1: 3 - 14 and Ephesians 1: 3 - 10
Prayer of thanksgiving


Contemplate your life by listening to what God has to say to you in His love letters to you His child:

Colossians 2: 6 - 7    
When you know Christ, then what?

Ephesians 4: 17 - 32
and Colossians 3: 5 - 17   
The new life we live when we know Christ

Philippians 3: 1 - 13 especially v. 9     
We are put right with God and absolved of sin through faith

2 Timothy 3: 1 - 9   
The last days will be difficult – women will follow evil men

Hebrews 11: 1 - 40    
A reminder of how faith helped others go through difficulties

James 1: 12 - 15    
God tempts no one – we are trapped by our own evil desires

Consider how Our Heavenly Father knows us and loves us anyway:

Psalms 139     God knows us completely


Through His Word let Him examine you in order to discover your own thoughts and then to guide you in the everlasting way:

James 2: 1 - 13    
Against prejudice

James 3: 1 – 12    
Teaching us how powerful our words are

James 4: 1 – 10    
Helping us to see that being a Christian will mean saying “no” to some things

James 5: 1ff         
A warning to us about getting caught up in our possessions, wanting things or in getting discouraged when we don’t have what we’d like

When we can see the wrong/sin in our lives and can feel the guilt, then we can do something about it.  We confess it.

Read Psalm 51 and then Psalm 32

Now read:

Galatians 5: 1 – 6 and 13 – 15, and First John 4: 11 – 24
Know that it is Christ who has set us free and it is by staying in union with Christ that we can love others

The following selections may be used for special circumstances.  Read any that seem to speak to you at this time:

Second Corinthians 4: 16 – 18 and 5: 1 – 10 
Do not be discouraged – our body is only our temporal home

Second Corinthians 8: 1 – 12 and 9: 6 – 15
On Christian giving

The Psalms were written as prayers or songs about the everyday of life.

Psalm 6, 13, 77, 102, 142, 143
Written by David when he felt God was not listening and when he felt great depression.

But then be sure to read:

Psalm 34: 18 – 20
Ps.  40: 1 – 5
Ps. 42: 11
Ps. 145, 146
Ps. 37: 34 – 37

Ps. 90
Reminds us to number our days

Ps. 127
Tells us how our homes are to be built

Ps. 101
Asks the Lord to help us be Godlike in our homes

Ps. 111: 10
How to be wise

Ps. 15
Who can approach God

Ps. 23
Because the Lord is my Shepherd, I have everything I need

Ps. 25: 4 – 14
Prayer for forgiveness for the sins of my youth

Ps. 37: 8
Stop your anger and worry

Ps. 121
God is my protector

Ps. 66
Thanks to God for answering your prayer

At the end of your prayer time read:

Galatians 5: 16 – 25
The Spirit should direct our lives

And finally, to complete this talk with God, read the following Living Bible translation of Psalm 119: 1 –  43.

            Happy are all who perfectly follow the laws of God.  Happy are all who search for God, and always do His will, rejecting compromise with evil, and walking only in His paths.  You have given us your laws to obey – oh, how I want to follow them consistently.  Then I will not be disgraced, for I will have a clean record.

            After you have corrected me I will thank you by living as I should!  I will obey!  Oh, don’t forsake me and let me slip back into sin again.

            How can a young man/woman stay pure?  By reading your Word and following its rules.  I have tried my best to find you – don’t let me wander off from your instructions.  I have thought much about your words, and stored them in my heart so that they hold me back from sin.

            Blessed Lord, teach me your rules.  I have recited your laws, and rejoiced in them more than in riches.  I will meditate upon them and give them my full respect.  I will delight in them and not forget them

            Bless me with life so that I can continue to obey you.  Open my eyes to see wonderful things in your Word.  I am but a pilgrim here on earth; how I need a map – and your commands are my chart and guide.  I long for your instructions more than I can tell.

            You rebuke those cursed proud ones who refuse your commands – don’t let them scorn me for obeying you; For even princes sit and talk against me, but I will continue in your plans.  Your laws are both my light and my counselors.

            I am completely discouraged – I lie in the dust.  Revive me by your Word.  I told you my plans and you replied.  Now give me your instructions.  Make me understand what you want; for then I shall see your miracles.

            I weep with grief, my heart is heavy with sorrow, encourage and cheer me with your words.  Keep me far from every wrong; help me undeserving as I am to obey your laws, for I have chosen to do right.  I cling to your commands and follow them as closely as I can.  Lord, don’t let me make a mess of things.  If you will only help me to want your will, then I will follow your laws even more closely.

            Just tell me what to do and I will do it, Lord.  As long as I live I’ll wholeheartedly obey.  Make me walk along the right paths for I know how delightful they really are.

            Help me to prefer obedience to making money!  Turn me away from wanting any other plan than yours.  Revive my heart toward you.  Reassure me that your promises are for me, for I trust and revere you.

            How I dread being mocked for obeying, for your laws are right and good.  I long to obey them!  Therefore in fairness renew my life, for this was your promise – yes, Lord to save me!  Now spare me by your kindness and your love.  Then I will have an answer for those who taunt me, for I trust your promises.

            May I never forget your words, for they are my only hope.  Therefore I will keep on obeying you forever and forever, free within the limits of your laws.

----------------------------------
Click the links below to read on your computer as a pdf or to print.
Time to Talk with God as above with scripture references - 4 pages

Time to Talk with God with all words from Bible verses included - 20 pages
---------------------------------
www.equalsharing.com

No comments:

Post a Comment