Thursday, December 3, 2015

Meanwhile, on Facebook...

I'm writing a quick "hi" here because I haven't written much lately. I don't know how many of the readers of this blog are connected with me on facebook or twitter but I'd like to encourage you to do that. You don't need to "friend" me to check out what's been going on there. I invite you to just look at https://www.facebook.com/stevekarl especially because almost everything I share there is public.

Here are a few things I posted personally just yesterday:
Yesterday evening:

All night, all day, angels watching over me, my Lord.
All night, all day, angels watching over me.
When I drive that big long bus, angels watching over me my Lord.
In you Lord I always trust, angels watching over me.
(Sung on my bus this evening but I'm sure no one could hear. wink emoticon)

------------------------------------

Yesterday afternoon:

Meditating on the word πραΰτης in the "fruit of the Spirit" in Galatians 5:23. "Meekness" or "gentleness" has to do with being teachable, willing to reconsider and even repent when there's evidence that you (or I) have been mistaken, even about a cherished belief. For example, in James 3:13-18 we read (in one English translation), "Who is wise and understanding among you? By his good conduct let him show his works in the (πραΰτης) meekness of wisdom. But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast and be false to the truth. This is not the wisdom that comes down from above, but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic. For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every vile practice. But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere. And a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace." This is a warning against stubbornness among Christians. Important to continue to be "open to reason."

---------------------

Yesterday mid morning:

Corporate leaders are morally responsible for their actions. We need to be informed. ColumbiaU responds to Exxon http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/12/01/business/media/document-columbia-letter.html

If corporations like ExxonMobil were truthful and reliable reporters of the facts, we could have addressed climate change long ago, doing as the Lord would have us do as those who are made in God's image and are responsible rulers over God's creation. The letter linked above was written because instead of admitting their errors, ExxonMobile is attacking those who investigated them.

Here's a quote from page 5 of the letter by Steve Coll, Dean of the Columbia University's Journalism School (linked above), defending his students and their work:

"You state that ExxonMobil told Ms. Rust that 'nobody "knew" with certainty either the dangers of climate change, or its primary causes, in the 1980s,' which of course is true as far as it goes. (Little that hasn't yet happened can be known 'with certainty.') But Exxon certainly devoted extensive resources to understanding the dangers of rising temperatures - indeed its in-house climate science advisor described the company's internal study of the effects global warming as a competitive necessity. In studying these dangers, the Los Angeles Times article reported (and your letter does not dispute), Exxon used the same global circulation models that the company's executives were belittling publicly."

Even though primary sources like this are deep and hard to read, I prefer to cite them instead of just putting up a link to report that I heard about this on the radio today.

-----------------------------

Yesterday early morning:

So now that I've overcome most of the hurdles as regards driving bus, including a first experience learning how slow I need to go with the ar-tic on ice, I'm looking toward the next challenges. I've been offered two opportunities - one to start a small group with young adult guys (connected with communitasmn dot com) and another that will probably lead to volunteer work with Bridging (bridging dot org). Also considering the possibility of involvement with the customer service department at Metro Transit -- there's an internal job opening that I'm looking at. And, FYI, Toni has her first appointment today at her new location - Hamline Place, 2585 Hamline Ave N, Suite C, Roseville, MN 55113. God is good.

---------------------------------
Each of us, of course, can choose whether or not to participate in the social media world. Those who stay away end up missing out on interesting stuff, and not just from me. The things I post get "liked" or commented on and the conversations are often interesting. I often wish more people were connected that way, but I decided to share just a bit here before I have to run to today's second shift.

God's peace to you today.

equalsharing.com

No comments:

Post a Comment