Saturday, December 19, 2015

Daily Quiet Time with God

Do you feel powerless? Are you swept along from day to day without direction? Or are you wondering if there is a real and good purpose for your life right now?

If that's true for you, do a spiritual checkup. Have you regularly taken time to be quiet with God each day? I've learned how important it is to ask Jesus, each day, to search out the purposes of God in the situations of my life and then purposefully say "yes" to Him. This is the way God gives me love, joy and peace (etc.).

I would like to give you this gift too, but you can't get it from me. Ask (pray) God! And ask for God's help as you do. God will help you! Let me know and I will pray with you. Or ask someone else you trust to pray for you and then share with them what God is teaching you. God doesn't intend us to be totally alone with Him (Genesis 2:18).

I find it helpful to start with a spiritual daily devotion in the morning. I look for one that is written by someone who has a clear focus on Jesus. But I don't stop with that. I ask, and expect, God to apply something from my reading, or from my Bible to what's going on in my life now.

Jesus said: "The time has come, and the kingdom of God is near..." (Mark 1:15). What's the result? "The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and power" (Galatians 5:22-23). The traditional translation the Greek 'ἐγκράτεια' ("self-control") is not strong enough to capture the power that God gives with His Spirit.

As you take time with the Lord, Holy Spirit will let you see God's work in your life. What great confidence and power that will give!

Notice: The devil will try to distract you from this! The evil one will focus almost all your attention on other people (John 21:21) or he'll tempt you with various kinds of entertainment. Recognize and resist the enemy of your soul and return to daily one-on-one time with God!

equalsharing.com

No comments:

Post a Comment