Monday, August 2, 2010

What's On Your Mind?

What's been on your mind lately? In the gospel lesson we read in church yesterday, a man has his mind set on an inheritance that he thought should be divided fair and square.  He asked Jesus to help settle the dispute with his brother but Jesus wasn't interested.  Instead, Jesus used the opportunity to tell a story and point out that nothing in this world is as important as our relationship with God.  You can read that lesson and a few more verses in Luke 12:13-31.

The "things above," that is, the precious promises and the blessed commands of God, they are far more important than anything we may want to focus on here on earth.  The following verses formed the theme for yesterday's sermon (click here to listen*).. they are part of yesterday's reading from Colossians 3:1-11.
1 So if you have been raised with Christ,
seek the things that are above
, where Christ is,
seated at the right hand of God.
2 Set your minds on things that are above,
not on things that are on earth,
3 for you have died,
and your life is hidden with Christ in God.
4
When Christ who is your life is revealed,
then you also will be revealed with him in glory.
We used the same verses as the theme at a funeral last week.  The 400 people who came needed to be reminded of those promises.  In times of grief it's especially good to know what we see on this pain soaked earth is not all there is, but, actually I need it every day. There is a new life coming, a life we know about because JESUS IS RISEN from the dead!  Praise God!

-----------------------
* The sermon was followed by the song From the Inside Out--you can listen to it and see the lyrics at this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdMJ9LH-Lc0

www.equalsharing.com

1 comment:

  1. I have been thinking about prayer lately. I understand in my head, but I'm having a lot a trouble getting it in my heart. There seems to be a randomness to answered or unanswered prayers. Little things, like I pray my truck will make it to this weekend so I can fix it, it doesn't. To big things, like I pray my wife will get better, she doesn't.

    I see prayer answered in Becky, my daughter. God denies her the things she wants to set her up for better things that she can't see yet. It has worked for her reliably throughout her adult life.

    So I believe, or want to believe, but I have doubt. How human of me.

    Anyway, that's what I'm thinking about.

    Tim Robbins

    ReplyDelete