Monday, November 29, 2010

Signs and Warnings

Four weeks ago I had a car accident.  It still mystifies me how I could have not seen that stop sign.  I am so thankful that no one was seriously hurt.

On Saturday we were going out to get a Christmas tree and another of our cars, an old Previa van... one that I hadn't been driving recently because my daughter had it.... that van clunked and bumped in ways that could not have been good.  So I brought it to a local mechanic to see what's wrong.

When I was driving down Hwy 37 four weeks ago, I was feeling peaceful and I had no idea that a disaster was impending.  Likewise, my daughter has been driving the Previa in the cities where there are lots of potholes, so she might have thought the clunking and bumping was normal. 

This is a good lesson.  Just because something might feel peaceful or normal doesn't mean all is well.  Sometimes I need to be alerted by a sign, or by someone who might just know a bit more than I do.

Many times we're tempted to go it on our own and not pay attention to dangers.  Even if someone points out that we need help we're often tempted to ignore that warning.  We like to think we're doing just fine on our own.

Read the following scripture from Matthew 3 and ask: Who or what are the signs you need to pay attention today?  Who is calling your attention to them?  Don't just rely on your own strength or your own feelings.  Listen to the warnings and check it out.
Matthew 3:1-12
In those days John the Baptist appeared in the wilderness of Judea, proclaiming,
    "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near."
This is the one of whom the prophet Isaiah spoke when he said,
    "The voice of one crying out in the wilderness: 'Prepare the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.' "
Now John wore clothing of camel's hair with a leather belt around his waist, and his food was locusts and wild honey.

Then the people of Jerusalem and all Judea were going out to him, and all the region along the Jordan, and they were baptized by him in the river Jordan, confessing their sins.
But when he saw many [religious leaders] coming for baptism, he said to them,
    "You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come?  Bear fruit worthy of repentance.  Do not presume to say to yourselves, 'We have Abraham as our ancestor'; for I tell you, God is able from these stones to raise up children to Abraham. Even now the ax is lying at the root of the trees; every tree therefore that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. I baptize you with water for repentance, but one who is more powerful than I is coming after me; I am not worthy to carry his sandals. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing floor and will gather his wheat into the granary; but the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire."
Who do you need to pay attention to today?  What in your life needs to be checked out?  Do you dare believe that someone just might speak for God?  It's good to pay attention because God always warns us for our own good.  He proved that by dying for sinners like me on the cross.

(That reminds me -- I need to make an eye-doctor appointment. I need to get the health of my eyes checked out...  I know I need to do that.  Ignoring it would be just dumb.)

---------------------------

* For more on this subject of "signs and warnings" click ►here◄ to see other posts related to "kairos" moments.  Kairos is the Greek word that the Bible uses for "time" in  Mark 1:15 - The time has come!  The kingdom of God is near!  Repent and believe the good news!

www.equalsharing.com

No comments:

Post a Comment