Thursday, September 17, 2009

God's Word

How wondrous is the Word of God.
  • God's Word is Living and Active. God's Word brought the universe into being. Through His Word, God came into this world after it had fallen into sin. And through His Word God continues to call me and all sinners to repentance and new life. God's Word descends to the depths and raises us from death and despair.
Let us treasure that Word. Read the Scriptures. Speak words of Christ's forgiving love. And remember there is no situation of life where we will ever be forgotten or abandoned. We know it is true because Jesus fulfilled it in his life, in his sufferings, death and resurrection.

Earlier this week I had an opportunity to share Psalm 56 with someone in despair. Perhaps someone needs this Word today.
Psalm 56
*(see note below on the interpretation of "enemies" in the scriptures.)

1 Be merciful to me, O God,
because I am under attack;
my enemies persecute me all the time.
All day long my opponents attack me.
There are so many who fight against me.

3 When I am afraid, O Lord Almighty,
I put my trust in you.

4 I trust in God and am not afraid;
I praise him for what he has promised.
What can a mere human being do to me?

5 My enemies make trouble for me all day long;
they are always planning how to hurt me!
They gather in hiding places
and watch everything I do,
hoping to kill me.
Punish them, O God, for their evil;
defeat them in your anger!*

8 You know how troubled I am;
you have kept a record of my tears.
Aren’t they listed in your book?

9 The day I call to you,
my enemies will be turned back.

I know this: God is on my side-
the Lord, whose promises I praise.
11 In him I trust, and I will not be afraid.
What can a mere human being do to me?

12 O God, I will offer you what I have promised;
I will give you my offering of thanksgiving,
13 because you have rescued me from death
and kept me from defeat.
And so I walk in the presence of God,
in the light that shines on the living.
Praise God for his Glorious Word! Because God has spoken, we know that no feeling, no situation, no sadness, anger or defeat is beyond His reach!

-----------------------
*Note: Though many suffer because of other people, our enemies are really the spiritual forces of evil. See Ephesians 6:12 and ask me sometime about how political and economic powers can be interpreted as spiritual. In any case, enemies are constantly are around us and within our own lives. No one is immune. God's Word is our help in time of trouble--convicting us of our sin and helping us when we are attacked.

www.equalsharing.com

No comments:

Post a Comment