Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Greedy Air

I turned on our home air conditioning an hour ago. 

Many people, all over the world, do not have air conditioning.  Air conditioning costs money.  Air conditioning adds to pollution. 

I suspect this is a sign of greed, because "greed" means consuming more than others when it's not necessary. 

Is this really different than taking a bigger piece of cake for myself when others don't have a chance?

And how does turning on the air conditioning relate to these verses?

"Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God?  Do not be deceived: neither... the greedy... will inherit the kingdom of God." First Corinthians 6:9-11

"I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of ... greed...—not even to eat with such a one." First Corinthians 5:11

Should I excuse myself?  Justify myself?  I could say I turned it on for my wife's sake, because she'll appreciate it when she gets home.  But is that honest?  I enjoy the comfort too.

And I enjoy our home, which is far larger than what we need.  Can I say, honestly, that it's not a sign of greed? 

Why do we consider greed to be different than other sins?  Can we talk about this?  Can we pray and ask for the Lord's direction and correction in EVERY area of our lives?  Can we do this together?

O Lord God, search my heart!  See if there is any wicked way in me and lead me in the way that is everlasting.  (Psalm 139)

www.equalsharing.com

No comments:

Post a Comment