Thursday, June 20, 2013

Exodus International Apology

When I was over at Snap Fitness a few moments ago I heard on the news that Alan Chambers, the director of "Exodus International" had apologized to the "members of the LGBTQ community."

When I got home, I read the apology.  You can read it at exodusinternational.org/2013/06/i-am-sorry/.

I don't know know Alan Chambers, nor do I know much about his organization.  I don't know if the changes at Exodus International are completely (or even generally) going in the right direction because I don't know much about where he and his organization started from.*  (This is not a subject that I am an expert in, though I have done extensive study on the scriptural and theological issues connected with sexuality in general.)
 
I can, however, completely agree with parts of what he writes.  Christians have often acted in hateful ways to people with same sex attraction.  I hope we can all repent of that.  Those of us who don't experience same sex attraction in the very center of who we "are" have a very hard time relating with those who do.  I've written some about this before.**  But even when it is hard, we need to always act first with love.

At the same time, I was glad to see that Alan Chambers has not reversed course in every way.  He writes:  

I cannot apologize for my deeply held biblical beliefs about the boundaries I see in scripture surrounding sex, but I will exercise my beliefs with great care and respect for those who do not share them.  I cannot apologize for my beliefs about marriage. But I do not have any desire to fight you on your beliefs or the rights that you seek. My beliefs about these things will never again interfere with God’s command to love my neighbor as I love myself. 

I'm not sure that what Alan Chambers says about stopping the "fight" against what many of us see as the dangerous direction that activists are pushing the church and society in regard to "gay rights" is a good idea.  But I am grateful that he has not surrendered the clear message of scripture about sexuality and marriage, and I'm thankful that the love of Jesus is right in the center. 

Please pray that we will all maintain truthfulness and act with love--both together--in all things.

----------------------
*I've met and have communicated some with a formerly allied group called "Outpost" and am looking for a time to have an in depth conversation with them.  I know there have been stresses and strains in that former alliance.  I know that Outpost is no longer part of "Exodus International."

**In regard to homosexuality, I've been attracted to the testimony of Wesley Hill and his book Washed and Waiting.  You can read about it at "When the Road Is Long."

----------------------
Note as of 6:00 p.m. - As I was working in the kitchen I listened to the opening address that Alan Chambers gave yesterday at the 38th annual "Exodus Freedom Conference."  Here's the link new.livestream.com/accounts/859828/events/2170680/videos/21999952.  I don't know how long that video will continue to be available, so if you can, watch it soon.

www.equalsharing.com

No comments:

Post a Comment