Monday, March 1, 2010

The God of Forgetting

The following is from Jerry Seehusen's blog "Beef on the Grill":
Who would want a God who is forgetful?
The story is told of a rural Minnesota couple in their early sixties enjoying each other’s company one fine winter's evening. They were discussing something they had just seen on television which suggested writing things down so that you would remember them better. Then the wife said, “I’d really like some ice cream.” The husband said, “I’ll get you some ice cream.” The wife said, “You better write it down so you don’t forget.” The husband said he would remember. She then asked for strawberries on the ice cream and suggested he should write that down but he insisted that he would remember. The wife then announced that she would like some whipped cream on top and that he really should write that down. Again, he assured her that he would remember. After about 20 minutes in the kitchen, the husband returned with a plate of fried eggs and bacon for his wife. She looked at him and said, “Where’s the toast?”

Ah, forgetfulness and growing old seem to go hand in hand. Forgetfulness is a trait we humans dread. We want to be alert, in control, on top of everything even if it is just ice cream and strawberries.

Both Jeremiah 31:34 and Hebrews 8:12 say: "For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more." I love what scriptures say. It’s good news but then I must admit, I have a big problem getting my insignificant human brain wrapped around such a magnificent thought. How can the God who names each one of the stars, forget our sin? Psalm 147:4 "He determines the number of the stars and calls them each by name."

How can the God who numbers the hairs on our head “remember our sins no more?” I don’t believe this struggle is a lack of faith, but a struggle with the complexity, magnificence and goodness of our God and Savior.

It seems to me that God just can’t forget my sin and remember the names of all the stars and number of hairs on my head. He must be storing them some place in an old bag to pull it out and beat me over the head when I screw up.

The devil loves to harass and discourage us with memories of our past sin, even the sins forgiven through the blood of Christ and remembered no more. It’s the devil’s lie.

We are blessed to have a God who knows the name of all the stars, knows the number of hairs on my head and knows exactly where each sparrow falls. This same God remembers all this and more and yet forgets all my sins forever. Ah, this is good news for this sin-laden but forgiven country boy. I praise God that He remembers and forgets. I don’t understand it but I sure am blessed. This is good news; very good news for all of us who believe.
Posted by Jerry Seehusen on Thursday, February 25 at 3:41 PM
Our all powerful God can choose to forget.  We can't.  The best we can do is to forgive, and remember that all the sins we remember have been forgotten by our Lord.

www.equalsharing.com

No comments:

Post a Comment