Friday, November 21, 2008

Communion

In the Lutheran church, we use "communion" as shorthand for what is also known as the Lord's Supper. It is our obedient response to what Jesus commanded the night before he died.

I believe communion is something we participate in, not something we "take" or "have." It's not something people can "bring" to someone who is absent from worship. We have a responsibility to gather with those who are in need and to share the Lord's Supper with them. We can't delegate "communion" duties to professionals or certain trained volunteers. Communion, as the word suggests, is the responsibility of the whole community of believers.

If you know of someone who is cannot come to worship here at church, I encourage you to bring them to one of the times and places where we regularly share the Lord's Supper in the community. Click this community worship link for information. If those times and places don't work for you, I am available to gather with you if that is your desire.

Let's not leave people isolated from the Christian community God desires for each of us. Don't assume it's none of your business! As I learned this morning at Edgewood Gables, when I went from door to door inviting people to worship there, an invitation is usually much appreciated.

2 comments:

  1. As Lutherans we often share communion with someone who is close to death. In the Catholic tradition there are the last rights. Both I think are designed to commit the person to Gods mercy.

    Dell had last communion twice. Once when we thought she might not make it, and once 49 hours before she died. The second time Pastor Steve touched the wafer to Dell's lips and she reached out and grabbed it. She had been drifting in and out and we did not know she was aware of what was happening. One of many miracles I have witnessed.

    During the time that we were married I very much looked forward to communion with my wife, and with my family. I always felt it bound us together, as a family, under Christ's protective cloak.

    Sometimes, when I go up to the altar, I get lonely. Then I remember that this communion binds all of the saints, both here and beyond, with Christ's promise of salvation.

    Pastor Steve, Thank you for sharing a powerful moment with me, with my family, and with Dell. I know with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul, that Dell is safe.

    To my family at ELC, Thanks for sharing supper. Let's do it again soon.

    Tim Robbins

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, my friend, for your testimony to the love of our Lord. Both you and Dell have been and ARE very special blessings to me personally and to our local church, and I'm sure, beyond. The Lord is so good to understand our need for community and for "visible" and "touchable" words of grace - so we have the Lord's Supper, Baptism, and, as Luther might add, the "mutual conversation and consolation of believers." Even virtually, through the internet, we can experience a part of that conversation. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete