Tuesday, September 29, 2015

In The Moment

On Sunday morning I got up thinking that I'd bike down to Mission Point Church but ended up locking myself out of the house. I could have waited to get a key from our landlord, Paul Anderson, until after worship but somehow it made sense to just go to his house right away. (Toni was out of town with her parents.)

So, instead of worshiping with my Mission Point friends, I went to Paul's house for worship at what they call Lydia House Church. Paul and his wife Karen have a home on Lydia Avenue, about a half mile west of the place we're renting. About 40 people gathered outdoors--it was a perfect morning. I was thankful for the opportunity and felt really positive about the time. (Maybe I'll post something about the message later.)

At one point we were encouraged to talk with one or two others about what God has been doing in our lives. I told the man who was sitting next to me that God has been working with me on quick faith reflexes -- that is, by putting me into circumstances where I'm tempted to get rattled or fearful, God is helping me to trust him in the moment. I have come to trust my Father God for the big things. Now He wants me to trust him for the momentary things too.

If you've been following this blog you know that the Lord has been bringing me (and us) through many changes, and, in my case, the Lord has brought me into a new profession that requires moment by moment alertness. Even this morning I could feel my faith reflexes being tested on my bus route, as I encountered the unique challenges that came my way today. I feel the fight in my soul between trusting God and getting rattled -- especially as I have to recover quickly from the (mostly minor) mistakes that I make every day.

I was reminded of that again this morning as I read Psalm 112 where it says:
... Surely the righteous* will never be shaken; they will be remembered forever. They will have no fear of bad news; their hearts are steadfast, trusting in the Lord. Their hearts are secure, they will have no fear ...
I am trusting that God is developing a more solid character in me through these days. I look forward to resting in His promises even when the momentary stress comes on me again this afternoon.

How is God teaching you to trust him in the moments of this day in your life? Keep alert for what He is doing in you now!

----------------------

* I trust Jesus to give me His righteousness. He gives his goodness and perfect life to you and to me on the cross. We receive it now when we say "yes" and decide to trust in Him. Let me know if you have questions about this so you can be secure in His Big Promises too.

----------------------

equalsharing.com

No comments:

Post a Comment