Saturday, May 12, 2018

Keeping It Soft

Early this morning I was up, as usual, even though I didn't have to go to work. I'm in the habit, I guess, so when I woke up I stayed up, did a few chores in the kitchen, then went to work out the old bod.

I don't want it to get soft as I get older. Physically soft, that is. Having some hardened muscles will keep some of the aches and pains away. But I always want to be soft to the ways of the Lord.

Toward the end after the afternoon I had a chance to listen to Jonathan share a bit about the message he's going to preach tomorrow. When I say "a bit" I mean just a bit. Very little. He mentioned the Bible book of Hebrews, chapters 3 & 4. I've been thinking about it ever since.

There are verses there that warn us against rebellion and the "hardening" of the heart. I want to remain strong and "hard" physically, but spiritually I don't want to be hard against the ways of the Lord. In that way, at least, I want to stay soft.

In chapters 3 & 4 of Hebrews there's a reminder of what happened when the people of Israel had left Egypt and were on their way to the promised land. They had seen, they had experienced, they had been blessed and rescued by the Work of God: miracles, saving wonders, demonstrations of the Lord's power. They had been slaves. Now they were free. All because of the Lord's grace.

But then rumors began to circulate. It would be too difficult to receive what had been promised. There wouldn't be enough of what they needed to live on the way. There were too many strong enemies. The memories of the Lord's faithfulness wasn't enough. They doubted the character, the love and the strength, of the one who had saved them. They could no longer turn to God in faith. They had to make their own way.

It's good to keep remembering the ways of the Lord and the ways he has saved us, so that when we encounter challenges and doubts, we will keep trusting and following. I want my heart, my will, my decision making -- I want those aspects of my life to be pliable and shape-able. I want to keep bowing to the ways of God -- because he loves me, and us, more than we'll ever know.

equalsharing.com

No comments:

Post a Comment