Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Contentment

I got home about 15 minutes ago (it's a quarter to 9 right now) after my first experience driving an articulated* bus with snow coming down. It went fine, but, of course, it wasn't slippery 'cause it wasn't freezing weather. That experience will come later. It's a winter preview. And winter is one of the seasons created by God. I WILL give thanks. It's a part of God's plan for us in this part of the world.

Toni and I made a decision yesterday evening that will impact our quality of life and finances going forward. We decided that I would stay "part time"** for now in my bus operator job. I was offered full time yesterday; only had about 20 hours to decide yes or no. I informed my manager today that I'd be staying with the schedule I have, even though going full time would help pay the bills. Full time also means giving up weekends, holidays and any sort of consistency with daily schedules, and we're not wanting to go that direction. Not at this point.

(As I mentioned earlier we have savings to help us get by. We'll need to be talking with a financial advisor about how best to handle that part of our life going forward.)

It would be good, financially to go full time. Benefits and salary are better, as would be an eventual retirement package. But there are more challenges that come with that which I'm not going to get into right now. Going full time would mean giving up consistent family time and that's something I don't think is worth it.

I read this verse yesterday that spoke strongly to me as I was praying over what to to:
" ... Godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that."  (1 Timothy 6:6-8)
Just because something is would help us be more secure money-wise does not mean it's a good thing. We'll continue to pray and seek God's best.

Beyond that, it's been a good week so far. We were able to spend extra time with Jon & his family Sunday and Monday nights. I spent part of Tuesday, between my shifts, bringing my dad to the eye doctor and then meeting with Per Nilsen... then dropping in to hear part of Nate Johnstone's message at Communitas. Today I spent some time with Steve Crane, one of the pastors at a local church we've visited twice since Toni got connected there with a women's Bible study group.

Toni, by the way, has been doing well with her business, including dealing with an unexpected possible change going forward... she's looking for a new location in the Roseville area for that.

I just wanted to check in tonight. I have about 8 hours between my evening shift and my morning one, so I tend to get about 6 hours sleep. Then I get a nap or two in during my between shifts time--plus all the other things I want to be able to do... and there are always many of those! The positive thing is that the schedule is consistent. I'm thankful for that.

Have a good night! Give us a call when you can. Or connect with us in another way. We'd love to hear from you.

Peace and love to you!

-------
* An "ar-tic" is a 62 foot long bus with a hinge in the middle

** The "part time" work takes about 9 hours a day when you add in the 20 minute each way commutes for the a.m. and p.m. shifts (four total) and the unpaid time that is necessary for me to get there early and make sure I'm not stressed when I start each shift.

equalsharing.com

No comments:

Post a Comment