Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Taught By Example

Today I was challenged by two pastors who are living disciplined lives.  They shared some words today that I am thankful for.

Pastor Per Nilsen, the lead pastor of the "Network" I'm a part of with North Heights and many other churches and pastors in the twin cities area, seems to be able to get by well on just a few hours of sleep each night.  Maybe he is "wired" that way... I've never felt a call to sleep as little as he does, but I am challenged by him nonetheless.  What he says just makes me consider that I can do the best I can with the body and mind God has give me.  Early this morning Pastor Per said, via twitter:
Did not want to get up @ 430am to workout after getting to sleep @ 1230. So glad I did. Discipline makes a difference!! 
Then, at our pastor's prayer meeting today, Pastor Lyndon Korhonen presented a piece on financial stewardship he entitled "Confidence to Live Different."  Pastor Lyndon lives an extremely frugal life, a life that will never be shaken by financial insecurity because, for example, he always pays off his credit card every month and scrutinizes every purchase he makes, no matter how small.  He does his own repairs and his own building when necessary.  Pastor Lyndon based his teaching on the following verse:
In the fear of the Lord is strong confidence: and his children shall have a place of refuge. (Proverbs 14:26)
I will never be like either of those two, but I can allow their example to challenge me.  I can learn to be more disciplined, even at 56 years old!  I can study God's Word and let it form me instead of allowing myself to be driven along by temptation. 

None of us have the same abilities and we are not all made the same by the Lord.  We were trained up differently when we were children.  EVEN SO, we can learn and grow and change!  I will not be the most disciplined among my brothers and sisters, but I can choose not to settle for being a mediocre me.  I can use what I have been given in the best possible way.

So today I am thankful for friends like Lyndon and Per that spur me on to live more faithfully as a disciple of Jesus.

Why?  Not to earn any credit before God, but to be a more effective disciple of Jesus, to be a better example for others to follow in their every day lives, and to be more faithful in carrying out the mission God has given me in this life.  To God be the glory every day!

www.equalsharing.com

No comments:

Post a Comment