Thursday, October 18, 2012

Sunday and beyond

The following went out as an email a few moments ago.

Hello everyone.  God's peace to you today.

I'm looking forward to this coming Sunday.  We're beginning a new series of messages that we're calling "Words with Friends."  Louis King will be preaching and our worship & praise will be led by my sons, Dan and Jon Thorson, together with my soon-to-be daughter-in-law Brenna Birkholz.  We're planning on sharing the Lord's Supper together as well.

I've been asked to add my name to an ad that will be going in the local newspaper in regard to the marriage amendment.  If you would like to have your name added also, please let me know soon.  I called Tony Onnen a hour ago to check on what the deadline is.  My understanding is that the ad will run in the Enterprise Dispatch for two weeks.

As we stand on the truth of God we all need to be deep in prayer about how God is calling us to stand and live.  God is calling Christian families that are more or less together to come alongside those whose families are not.  God is calling us to do this without judging or condemning.  God is calling us to be steadfast, trustworthy friends. 

Please be in prayer about how we will live as a church and as individual families.  Pray and be ready to extend God's love to all whose living situation and family life is out-of-whack and/or painful.  God has often called His people as He is doing today, to serve and to sacrifice some comfort or personal "earthly" peace to reach out to make a difference in the lives of those who are sometimes barely hanging on. 

If you feel yourself being called by God to come alongside individuals and families that are in crisis or are living with instability, and if you do not know who God is calling you to pray for or serve specifically, please let me know or talk with other Crossroads friends.  Many of us know of those who are in such need.  Doing this together as friends at church will make it more possible to reach out without being overwhelmed.

As we hear God's call and obey it, we can rely on God's peace and on one another.  Together with Jesus, we will pierce the darkness with His Light.

Psalm 119:29-32
Keep me from deceitful ways;
    be gracious to me and teach me your law.
I have chosen the way of faithfulness;
    I have set my heart on your laws.
I hold fast to your statutes, Lord;
    do not let me be put to shame.
I run in the path of your commands,
    for you have broadened my understanding

Sincerely yours in Jesus,

Pastor Steve Thorson

1 comment:

  1. I found out that the deadline for the newspaper ad had already passed. Tony Onnen said my name could still be added to the ad when it is reprinted for the second week. I am in prayer about that.

    ReplyDelete