Sunday, February 6, 2011

Attachment and Surrender

We started our move.  We're not going far, just two miles north of town to Dave & Barb Yeager's.  They've volunteered to put us up until we know where we'll be going from here.  Our big moving day is planned for Saturday, Feb. 12.  We'll be needing a lot of help.  Thanks in advance to anyone who can lend a hand, and thank you to those to whom we are already so in debt.

Part of moving is throwing things away.  My wife Toni is really good at that.  I tend to get too attached to things, especially things that are connected with special people or special memories.  When a garbage bag of my kids' stuffed animals was out in the entryway, I needed to check to see which of the dozens were being tossed.  That's just one kind of "thing" I want to pause with before letting it go.  Lots of other things are getting carried with us to our next home--probably more than we need.

I heard a sermon this morning based on Philippians 3:7-4:1,8-9 where the Apostle Paul recognizes that nothing is worth hanging onto except what we have in knowing Jesus Christ and his love for us.  "For his sake," writes Paul, "I have thrown everything away; I consider it all as mere garbage, so that I may gain Christ and be completely united with him."

Join me in praying that nothing may possess me other than the love of Jesus, and that I be ready to let everything else go at his command.  That way we will have our hands and hearts free to worship and serve him for the rest of our life.

www.equalsharing.com

No comments:

Post a Comment