Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Peace Beyond Understanding

Last night at Northwestern College I sat in on a part of a class in apologetics.  The professor started with by sharing some thoughts and a prayer time based on Bible verses like these from Isaiah, where God says:
"I call you by your name, I name you, though you do not know me. I am the LORD, and there is no other, besides me there is no God; I equip you, though you do not know me, that people may know, from the rising of the sun and from the west, that there is none besides me; I am the LORD, and there is no other. I form light and create darkness, I make well-being and create calamity, I am the LORD, who does all these things." (Isaiah 45:4b-7)
This portion of scripture is an example of what is called the "Sovereignty of God."  Because God is the creator of all things, God is ultimately in control--even of those things that are evil.  In the past, I've seen this as something terrible.  Now, however, I find it comforting.  Ultimately, in the end, we can trust that God has everything in his hands.  We know that's good because God is most clearly known in Jesus Christ, who gave his life for sinners like me.  What peace!  Even when it's beyond my comprehension, nothing is beyond the reach of the Master's hand.  No matter what, because of Jesus, we can trust.  We can allow God's plans to work themselves out.  How sweet it is.

www.equalsharing.com

No comments:

Post a Comment