Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Trust and Security

Our youth ministry director and seminarian, Nate Bendorf, will be preaching on June 20 while Toni and I are in Taylors Falls as part of the 150th anniversary celebration of that congregation.  Thanks, Nate!

Looking ahead to June 27--we will be reading Psalm 16.  So appropriate for the Sunday after the congregation meeting, as are the other scriptures assigned for that day--good to read them but also the context around them from your Bibles - 1 Kings 18:15-16,19-21 (look also at 1 Kings 18); Galatians 5:1, 13-25 and Luke 9:51-62.

Here is Psalm 16 from the New Living Translation.
16 A psalm of David - a Song of Trust and Security in God..
     Keep me safe, O God,
for I have come to you for refuge.
     I said to the Lord, “You are my Master!
Every good thing I have comes from you.”
     The godly people in the land
are my true heroes!
I take pleasure in them!
     Troubles multiply for those who chase after other gods.
I will not take part in their sacrifices of blood
or even speak the names of their gods.
     Lord, you alone are my inheritance, my cup of blessing.
You guard all that is mine.
     The land you have given me is a pleasant land.
What a wonderful inheritance!
     I will bless the Lord who guides me;
even at night my heart instructs me.
     I know the Lord is always with me.
I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me.
     No wonder my heart is glad, and I rejoice.
My body rests in safety.
10      For you will not leave my soul among the dead
or allow your holy one to rot in the grave.
11      You will show me the way of life,
granting me the joy of your presence
and the pleasures of living with you forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment