Friday, February 19, 2010

Redefining Progress

The following article by Gintarė Varankeviciute is from the February 2010 issue of the LCC International University Student Times, published in Lithuania.
“If first you don’t succeed, dust yourself off and try again“ and never forget that your life is all about forward movement towards a set and desired destination (whatever it may be). Forgive my ‘unsystematic’ writing techniques, but I assure you that they are used with an intention to show that there are times when we forget the other part of the sentence- our forward movement should have a destination- a purpose. If this issue does not apply in your life, I have yet another subject matter to address.
C. S. Lewis in Mere Christianity writes: “Progress means getting nearer to the place where you want to be. And if you have taken a wrong turning, then to go forward does not get you any nearer. If you are on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; and in that case the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive man.”

Did you ever hear anybody say (loudly and proudly) that ‘moving backwards’ can be counted as a wise and sensible decision and that it can even be life giving? My assumption is that if/when one does decide to go back, he also will have to face the place where the wrong turn was made. ‘If first you don’t succeed, dust yourself off…lay down your pride, turn around and go back in humility’- a new definition of progress or ‘the most progressive man’ as C. S. Lewis would say.

I have to admit that going back is not usually my number one preference. Most of the time I would rather keep on going and hope that there is an alternative route somewhere along the way, that will get me back on the right track. I simply HAVE TO move forward. The further you go…the closer you are to…what? DEAD END?! At least that is where I find myself if I put my hope in that alternative route and not in the humbling truth that when I will decide to turn around and get to the place where I made the wrong turn my Savior will be waiting for me there, ready to reaffirm that I am His beloved, His creation and that He delights in me.

I don’t know about you, but personally, that gives me so much ‘breathing space.’ In this high-tech, fast-moving world, constantly demanding me to be actively engaged in ‘forward movement’ I find myself astounded, humbled and relieved by the unquestionable wisdom of ‘doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road.’
Thanks Gintarė, for setting us straight.

www.equalsharing.com

No comments:

Post a Comment