Thursday, September 18, 2008

Worthy of the Call

In Ephesians 4:1-3, Paul writes, "I therefore, the prisoner in the Lord, beg you to lead a life worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, making every effort to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace."

Impatience is tempting, but not attractive. When I consider Jesus' life, his impatience was directed at the religious authorities, not at the common people. The Lord is so patient with us! Because God is patient with me, I hope I will always be patient with you.

A prayer attributed to Mother Teresa says: "Sweetest Lord, make me appreciative of the dignity of my high vocation, and its many responsibilities. Never permit me to disgrace it by giving way to coldness, unkindness, or impatience."

Whether I am exercising the high vocation of being a pastor or being a father, I pray that when I speak or act with impatience, that I will quickly repent. And if I have been impatient with you, I hope you will let me know. Sometimes I'm not even aware of my own actions and their effect on others. Please, speaking the truth in love, help keep me and others on track by confronting us when we are wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment